Friday, December 26, 2008

The Big, Little and In-Between Things!

It is so easy to get caught up in life and the things happening around us, that we forget to watch for things that are so important.
We tend to think that something is so small, or insignificant, that its irrelevant, or sometimes, we rely on the "bigger things" so much, that we take them for granted.
Discovering that I have Aspergers has been a, ironically, nice thing. It has opened, not just my eyes, by the eyes of those who know and love me to so many things.
The people who know and love me, now understand me in ways that they never had before, and it has made a huge difference for the better.
I know I have been very blessed with this experience, as things could have not turned out quite as well as they have so far.
Rather than understanding, I could have received pity instead. I also could have had people alienate me further.
So far, the only person whom I am aware of, that has felt pity for me, is me. Although that has past, now that I understand more about not just who and what I am, but how much of that is influenced by having AS.
So having said all that, I would like to make honorable mention to the one person who has stood by me the most. The one person who could have left and chose to stay, knowing that there would be no guarantees that there would be anything to gain by staying.
My wife.
I have never considered myself a poet. In fact, to be honest with you, if you were to ask me to sit down and write a poem, I really would have a great difficulty doing it. I dont know why, I understand the concepts of poems, and in high school, I received no less than B's in areas of poetry, but creating a poem is just something that doesn't seem to flow from me naturally. Except on rare occasions, when for some unknown reason, one will just, "hit" me.
Like this one.

EVERYTHING

She does not look at me, with condescending eyes.
She doesn't hold it against me, that I am not like other guys.
Yes, she thinks I'm strange, and sometimes weird indeed.
But in spite of all these things, she still loves me for me.
I know at times I have tried her patience, no doubt to the very end.
Yet, through it all she remains, my very closest friend.
She knows all of my weaknesses, and every fault I have.
Some of which I am sure, drives her very mad.
My wife is so important to me, for so many reasons.
Without her in my life, I would not want to last a season.
No, she isn't perfect, but its close enough to me.
My only prayer is that I can be, what she has been to me.
Everything.

No comments: