Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I...want...my...freaking...pen...back!!!!

OK, so, I was reading another blog today about a young woman who thinks her father might have Aspergers, and she noted that her father seemed totally unemotionally vested in regards to tragic world events, but would become upset if someone moved his ashtray.
This was an eye-opener for me, as I realized, that I was that way as well.
Not the unemotionally vested part, I've always know I was like that.
No, it was the part about the ashtray, except for me, its a single ink pen I keep on my desk.
You see, for the last 10 days, I haven't been feeling, "quite myself".
I spent several days trying to figure out why I have been feeling so much "turmoil" inside.
Another blog led me to the answer on the "feelings" part of it, and I was able to connect the dots and realize the whole point of this particular article.
Today, I realized that I am upset because someone, (might even be me), has lost my ink pen.
As strange as I am sure it must sound, this ink pen is important for me.
No, there is nothing special about it, other than it writes nice. It's not expensive, it has no sentimental value, in fact, upon really thinking about it, its not even the pen itself that is important to me, although it is.
Hmmmm, this is going to be harder to explain than I thought.
OK, I say the pen is important, because I want that particular pen on my desk. But once the pen runs out of ink, I have no issues with tossing the pen in the trash and putting a different pen in its place. The new pen doesn't have to look like the old pen, or be the same type, as long as it writes nice.
It annoys me however because my family, regardless of how many times I have asked them nicely not to touch my pen, inevitably "needs to use it real quick"and now it has disappeared, and cannot be found.
You would think that this would be a simple fix, right? Replace the pen, problem solved right? Except for one thing.......there was nothing wrong with this pen!!!! It had ink! It wasn't broken. I liked it.
My wife says, "Good grief, Hun, its just a pen." Shes 100% correct, it was "just a pen". So were the 20 before it, all of which disappeared in less than 3 months. So if she realizes that its just a pen, and that in and of itself, it is so unimportant, why is it so hard for her, or my kids to leave it the freak alone, or put it back, so that it doesn't bother me when they take it????
And in fact, its not even so much that they use it, its that they don't put it back, or at least place it somewhere where I can find it. I don't care about its exact placement. I don't even care if its on my desk. I just want to know where it is, at all times, so that when I want to use my pen, I can use my pen!
I feel like I need a pen with a built in GPS system!
OK, /rant.

1 comment:

" JUST US " said...

I can relate to you. My Son is autistic and my nephew has Aspergers. They both like having things in place. Certain routines they both follow and patterns of events always stay the same.. It's just something they like..